From Prison to Museum
During the liberation of Rome (June 4, 1944) the population invaded the palace of Via Tasso, freed prisoners and sacked the building. In it they settled displaced homeless families. For some time there was also the headquarter of the National Association of Italian Partisans (as also noted the affixed plaque on the facade).
In order to get from the state the removals of the occupying people for other places in addition to the recovery of the entire building, on June 15, 1950 Princess Josepha Ruspoli in Savorgnan di Brazzà gave the state four of the apartments on the civic number 145, where there were detention prisons. In the act of donation there was explicit clause of the implementation on a permanent basis, of the Historical Museum of the Liberation Struggle of Rome.
Between 1953 and 1954 the apartments were freed by those who occupied them, and a committee was formed for the construction of the museum, chaired by historian Alberto Maria Ghisalberti, President of the Historical Institute of the Risorgimento.
The completion of the museum was in charge Giulio Stendardo, director of archeology and art history library, man of confidence of the Ministry of Education and former member of the CLN of Modena for the Christian Democrats. Appeals to the people, to the families of the fallen, to the partisans were launched in order to stimulate them to offer relics, documents, clandestine newspapers and what could be useful for this purpose.
On 4 June 1955 the President of the Republic Giovanni Gronchi inaugurated only the first exhibition.